Kansas City lawyer Jonathan Laurans warns you about some very basic points to keep in mind so that you do not make a poor and uninformed choice when hiring counsel to aid you with your most pressing legal problems! Jonathan Laurans (816) 421-5200.
TIPS on Hiring An Attorney:
With so many attorneys to choose from these days along with the simplicity that the internet offers an individual when it comes to quickly contacting a lawyer, it certainly puts an individual in a vulnerable position when it comes to hiring an attorney. To be honest with you, it raises some great questions about the process one must go through when it comes to hiring a skilled attorney.
I believe in making sure an individual has all the facts when it comes to locating and hiring the best attorney, regardless of whether or not it is actually my services that you acquire. So please take a minute and watch my video on the Do’s & Don’ts For Hiring A Lawyer. I truly believe it will not only save you thousands of dollars and hours of wasted time but, it could quite possibly be the difference in the outcome of your trial.
• Do your research ahead of time. In the internet age, there is plenty of information available online about most businesses; take a few minutes to Google the attorney you’re interested in working with. Compare the attorneys with rating services such as Martindale Hubbell or Super Lawyers and make sure you ask for referrals or testimonials. A good attorney never has anything to hide from you.
• Don’t forget to get a written break down regarding the nature and terms of the attorney’s work that they are presenting to you. Some attorneys will not disclose to you exactly what they will or will not being doing when it comes to working on your case; this often times means they will be handing your case off to another attorney in the office.
• Do ask for a break down on the fees you will owe. An attorney who specializes in the area of law you are looking for will typically have a pretty good grasp of what you will be paying for your case; however, keep in mind that every once in a while there are unexpected issues that can come up, so make sure you take the time to discuss what those types of possibilities might be before getting started.
• Don’t just take the attorneys word for it; review your monthly bills or invoices. If your attorney is billing you for something you don’t understand, make sure you ask for clarification. An honest and ethical attorney won’t mind explaining the items on your bill, or correcting a mistake that they may have overlooked.
• Don’t just go with the lowest bidder. We have all heard the old adage, “you get what you pay for” – and believe me when I tell you this, the same carries over to the legal business. If an attorney makes verbal promises that are backed with a low fee quote that seems too good to be true, then you ought to follow your gut. Truth is, promises are made every day and what seems like a reasonable price ends up simply being your “get started” fee.
• Do tell others about your experience with your attorney. Listen, if you have had a wonderful experience with an attorney take some time and let others know about it. You could be doing someone a huge favor. So take the time to share your experiences online by using social media websites like Facebook and Twitter. Its simply the easiest way to share with thousands of people about what your experience was like.
About Mr. Laurans: Voted by lawyers in Kansas and Missouri to SuperLawyers Magazine. Free consultation nights and weekends. Also practicing in Jackson, Clay, Platte and Cass counties, Missouri, and in Johnson and Wyandotte counties, Kansas. State and federal felonies and misdemeanors. Sex crimes. Assault. Battery. Murder. Homicide. Rape. Marijuana. Cocaine. Meth. Criminal defense attorney. Winning record. 22 years experience. Kansas, Missouri, federal court. Drug cases and other crimes.
AV Rated by Martindale Hubbell rating service.
Disclaimer: Your choice of a lawyer is an important decision and should not be made based upon an advertisement. The information contained on this website is necessarily of a general nature, only for informational purposes. Nothing contained here should be construed to be formal legal advice. It does not create a lawyer-client relationship.